Sunday, June 22, 2014

Realization

We normally babysit Parker on Tuesdays and watching him grow into a little boy is apparently causing a thought process in Joseph's mind.
Suddenly at lunch time Joseph asked me " If I have children will they be half Chinese?"

"Umm, yeah at least half."

" Well, what am I gonna tell them to put on their achievement tests then?"


We had this discussion last year when they had their standardized testing at school, "mom, what am I supposed to put when it asks Caucasian, Chinese, Latino, African American, Pacific Islander?"

I jokingly told them to chose "other" because it sorta irks me that they need/want to know...why don't they just check if the curriculum is teaching the students.
Hope informed me though that she tried that and her teacher made her change it to Chinese.

I told them there is every reason to mark the circle beside "Chinese", because I think that is what they are asking, but the question still irritates me.
That irritation caused us to be noticed by the US Census bureau too....if you choose a couple different ethnicites in your household they call you and want an in depth interview.  So they do read those papers.

1 comment:

  1. In one of the books I read, the parent of a multi-racial child just put American.

    ReplyDelete