Sunday, December 21, 2014

Aunt Ann's Yogurt

A couple of you asked for my yogurt recipe so here goes.   I'd advise you to read up a bit on yogurt making,(If you already know all about yogurt making and just want the recipe, read the bold print) there are some tips...such as

 "yogurt does not like to be jostled while it is becoming yogurt"

Temperature is important, get a digital or quick read thermometer.

Milk can be fresh from the farm, but non-homogenized will give you a layer of cream on the top...
 yum or yuck depends on which child gets it.

I have been using whole milk simply cause there are some frightfully skinny people in my house, but I probably should use "blue" milk for those of us who are watching our cholesterol.

I have had the best success using store -"boughten" yogurt for my starter. When I used my yogurt for the starter in the next batch, my yogurt got runny....tasted OK, but we like yogurt that can stand up for itself. That's why we use gelatin.

Oh and get containers and lids ready in advance so that you aren't scrambling around, worried that your yogurt mix is getting too cold or too warm while you find lids, containers, or counter-top space. Don't ask my how I know this.

Aunt Ann's Yogurt

2 quarts milk
place in a heavy bottom kettle

1/4 cup sugar; just let it sink to the bottom don't stir yet

Sprinkle 1-1/2 Tablespoon plain gelatin over the top of the milk
Don't stir

Heat to about 100 degrees (use the thermometer)
Now you can stir, but sure to get the sugar mixed in

Heat to 180 degrees (read up on yogurt making to understand why)
Stir occasionally while it is heating

When it has reached 180 degrees, remove from burner and set in sink with ice water or simply set on counter to allow mixture to cool to 110 degrees.
 I understand that you don't want to vary this by much cause then you add the yogurt culture. You don't want to kill those healthy little "bugs" that make yogurt so healthy for you.

While the milk is cooling prepare the culturing area...my sister-in-law uses her oven and simply turns on the light for the oven...it keeps the oven warm enough. I found out that my oven light doesn't work, even after I put in a new bulb. So, I pulled out my big ice chest, lined it with a tablecloth (folded so half of it can fold over top of the yogurt containers), heated a pint jar of water, closed the jar and put it in the ice chest, so that it is warm for the yogurt culturing.

When milk has cooled to 110;  add 5-6 oz of plain yogurt


 I use the Greek yogurt cause it is thicker....from my reading I think you can add most any kind of plain yogurt, your end result just might be a different texture. If you read yogurt labels you can see that there are different qualities....oh and don't buy old yogurt (so local peeps Glenwood might not be the best choice)

Stir in yogurt and
 1 Tablespoon of vanilla  (optional)

After there are no lumps in your yogurt mixture and the temp is between 100 and 110 degrees, start ladling yogurt into containers  Pop 4 at a time into the ice chest...so as to not loose heat. When all the yogurt is in containers, fold the other half of the tablecloth on top. I leave the hot water jar in the ice chest, but on top of the cloth. Set the ice chest somewhere quiet, where no one will be using it for a sled, wagon, step stool or bully pulpit. After 4 hours get the yogurt out and put in fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment