Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Some Progress

It seemed that I could finish nothing this summer. I have quilt orders quietly lying in 
their boxes and bags waiting. A beautiful crazy quilt with its silks and wools and all sorts
of embroidery to be added, a red and white star quilt begging me with its simplicity, a 
simple but tedious quilt to be made from a mother's (not mine) left-over scraps.
Then there are charity projects, little dresses, sturdy soft diapers, and thick fluffy comforters.

Finally,
Two orders that are to be Christmas gifts for some lucky people,
got my nose to the needle
and I finished them.

The compass design is a miracle to tell....
My boss ( an Amish lady who owns a shop) gave me a computer printed copy 
of a wall hanging I made years ago. "Can you make this again?"
"Sure" I said, hoping that I could find the pattern I'd used.
I fully expected to need to re-draft the pattern and reluctantly cleared my cutting table 
and the floor around my sewing machine.
"What is this rolled up sheet of freezer paper doing under the wheels of my chair?"
A corner of the sheet unrolled enough to show me a slightly familiar design...
Could I wish?
Surely not!
Yes it was...the original design that I drafted to make the design the first time...
AND
the cut out pattern pieces still stuck together with their little rolls of scotch tape.

OK, you might not think that is much of a miracle
BUT 
those of you who have seen my sewing room will KNOW that that was a miracle!

This one needed to be figured out and CAREFULLY planned because I did not have the luxury of extra fabric in case I mis-cut something.
Tomorrow I will satisfy my curiosity about making diapers for a charitable project then I need to finish another quilt.

This was the work of a slightly fidgety daughter on the first night of revivals.
The amazing thing is that the braid stayed in her hair overnight and was not un-raveling in the AM when I needed to comb her hair.

This past weekend we took a flying road trip to a nephew's wedding in Illinois. We took Shekinah because we felt it would probably be best for her security. Tho I wasn't sure what she would do on a trip that long. We drove 9 hours to Indianapolis and then 3- 1/2 hrs to the wedding the next morning.
Five hours later we reversed the process. 
I think we pushed her to her limits but she did amazing. 


1 comment:

  1. "Those of you who have seen my sewing room..." Ha, ha! Definitely agreed it was a miracle!

    ReplyDelete