Sunday, May 29, 2016

Of Graduations and Summer Vactions


And suddenly it is here!
Graduation and summer vacation.
We started on Thursday night with Hope's graduation from 8th grade.
It is sort of a big deal at our school because a lot of the students part ways going on to different high schools or homeschooling. 
The girls found fabric that they liked and moms were responsible to make dresses.
The down-side to this graduation was that one of their classmates was spending the week in a local children's hospital diagnosed earlier this year with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura also known as ITP. She reached a crisis this week and needed to be hospitalized. Technology was helpful and she was present via Skype (or one of those technologies).
I don't have a picture of Hope making her speech because I was recording it. She was honored for her excellent grades.

Sorry for the awful lighting, my cameras just don't cut it inside with that lighting.
Hope you make me proud, you faced a fear tonight when you stood up there and gave your speech.
You only drove us a little nuts with your nervous activity that day.
I really don't think I would have managed a speech like that at your age.

Then Friday morning the Kindergarten class had their graduation.
Shekinah behaved just like a Kindergarten student, she is promoted to first grade.
She walked up like a lady and remembered which hand to use to shake her teacher's hand.
I often get the question: "Do her hands hinder her, is she handicapped by the lack of fingers?"
So far the biggest handicap is when they sing songs with signs. It is very hard to hold up three fingers when you only have two. We will master shoe-tying eventually and learning to jump rope is on the list for this summer. 
Funny story, her teacher recognized her for "this student enjoys each day and usually comes into the classroom with a bounce." Later in the day Shekinah asked me, "Did you tell Zeke about my teacher saying I come into the room with a ....waddle?"



Then the last graduation of the weekend. Twelve years finished (we omitted Kindergarten in his case)
Zeke you too make me proud, you continued in some tough classes this year knowing that they might drive your GPA lower (Unfortunately, when you are worried about GPA it is best to take "easy" courses so you are assured an "A" rather than challenge your brain and possibly get a "B") You worked on homework after work and made the run to York every Thursday night for kids club.
Your experience with the five-year-old in your house gives you much insight with those five-year-olds. I don't know what God has in store for your future, but you've made a good start.

All my kids make me proud, they are all famous for something, but these three were the "grads" this year.


Tomorrow I will start on the SUMMER SCHEDULE!

This is the start of "OPERATION FUN SUMMER".

Over the past few years, summer has been a trial because some occupants of our house equate summer with unending boredom and unfulfilling  labor. I vowed to try to have one fun summer before these children graduate from high school.

I have a schedule that will alternate jobs with scheduled fun projects and crafts.
We have scheduled snack time.
We have slips of paper with jobs listed so that your job should never get boring because you will pick a new one out of the hat every morning.
Large jobs will be a group effort--me included :(
I stocked up on the usual craft items paint, paper, clay, embossing supplies, clock works to make clocks, paint stripper to rework an old desk and shelves, paint to make sunprints on fabric (for skirts).
The two teens are supposed to be in charge of some of the instructing of craft projects (objections by some).

Then some new fun outside "toys"...a slack line and a spikeball game.

I am excited BUT I am terrible with schedules.

I am going to TRY to only be online from about 1-3PM because the internet with be "down" before that. So if you need to get hold of me you will need to call and I might screen my calls and only get back to you after lunch.

Somehow it seems imperative that I make some good memories with some of my children and I am going to give it my best. I will try to blog about it to keep me accountable, but if I disappear it is probably because I am just tired. 
I also have some big quilt orders for this summer, so that is why I will need  the afternoon hours to be productive.

2 comments:

  1. I've known high school graduates who purposely got a bad grade, just so they wouldn't need to give a speech. Kudos to Hope for giving that speech even if she would rather not speak to crowds. She did a great job, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go! Love your plan for the summer. It's exactly what I'd like to do...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete