Sunday, January 6, 2019

Merry Christmas--Happy New Year

...or What I Learned this Year

Let's see...


 I learned that maybe I should sell some egg rolls instead of leather bags to raise money for our trip to China this summer. Actually we might have to postpone that trip till late summer.
I still like them best straight from the deep fryer.

I learned that you should check you gift wrap supply immediately after Christmas is over--so that you have some for next year.

 I've learned that I get a lot more exercise since we have a dog. She really likes to go outside when the girls are at school so it is my job. I'm very glad for the mild winter weather we've had so far.

I learned that this girl has a steady hand for very fine work.
She is placing tiny little beads in the proper spots on that butterfly.
Oh, I should do a post on her quilt-making school project.

I've learned that el-cheapo Erector sets are a bit frustrating to assemble.
Should have checked a more reputable source.

When even techy big brother got a bit frustrated I knew it was a bad choice.
But I did learn that she can use a wrench and screw driver and with a bit of ingenuity she figured out how to tighten the screws and bolts.
That was the goal of the purchase in the first place.


I learned that she makes a very cute princess and that curtains + a head band make a sweet veil.


Daddy bought her an electric screw driver and she helped him improve the basement steps.

I learned that my stash of DMC floss really gets no use at all these days
 and I probably could put my divided boxes to better use.


I learned that those griddles were worth the expense ($20 each).
Zeke chose a three meat grill for his birthday.
I don't think our budget would cover a chicken, pork and shrimp meal for
 seven at a restaurant. 

We ended with lemon curd cheese cake. It was supposed to be lemon meringue.
I learned that baking meringue alone to put on a cake later isn't as easy as I thought.
I also learned that 40% of us don't really care for lemon curd.

I learned that Sichuan chicken with Sichuan peppers can be quite spicy.
Learned a new method to tenderize chicken, it involved baking soda and vinegar.
It is a method I will need to attempt again with a few tweaks.

I learned that home made wrappers fill you up much faster than store-boughten ones.
I love dumpling soup, but you should combine the ingredients in your bowl, not in the kettle.

I love watching these three play together.
They were having a truck convoy---they didn't call it that, I did.

I learned that he eventually does need sleep.

She learned that walking the dog in the rain in heels makes for wet feet...and a wet dog.
It is quite amazing to watch how fast your sisters move when a wet dog launches
 herself at them after the walk.

Other things we learned--tuning your own piano is difficult.
Buying a digital one might be a good idea, but it isn't as cheap initially.
The trash can is ALWAYS full, maybe I need to put a 55 gallon drum in the closet.
I love having Christmas vacation, but I really love that first day after Christmas vacation too.
Teaching teens to become adults is not always as easy as I thought.
Those paper packets of hot chocolate don't necessarily make a whole big mug of hot chocolate.
It's hard to get family pictures for Christmas cards. 
No matter how crazy your life seems, there is always someone who
 is having a "worser" day. Be kind.


QOTD: "People should be more like rabbits" , says Shekinah
"Huh?!"says mom.
"Yeah", says Shekinah citing the most dependable publication she could think of quickly. "It says so in the Wall Street Journal."

She wants to start a You Tube channel call "Life Lessons from Shekinah" but I CANNOT remember what the first lesson was going to be. I'll see if I can write them down as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment