Sunday, March 1, 2015

Birthdays, and Growing Up

The growing up would be this guy, who just swiftly crawled up on the kitchen table this past week. He doesn't even walk most of the time! (He can walk, just thinks it's a bit slow.)

Shekinah thought he was funny...then I looked at the back drop of my lovely children...

Put them down for a nap and cleaned up my kitchen sink.
It's as good as it gets folks.

Then we had a birthday in this house.
He wanted sticky buns "with that good icing on" (he means buttercream with real butter)
I had seen a neat "cake" on Facebook where they used Nut*lla for the spread between the layers
and decided that you probably could do the same thing with the sticky bun recipe...
and you can!


The other thing he wanted was that expensive that he had to combine Christmas and birthday gifts into one....and add a bit of his own (young parents..it is a good idea for them to have to invest something into big ticket items like this)  ---that's your free advice for the day--
and no, he is not allowed to use the wi-fi unless he is supervised....old meanies we are.

I heard familiar music and realized that Faith is playing one of Zeke's old favorite games.
It should help her learn some logic....as long as she doesn't get too much help from the big kids.


Last weekend we visited with the family from OH whose son Tyler had external fixators on both legs. The feedback we got from the children was interesting. Tyler confided in his mom, "mom, that little girl doesn't have many fingers."
Mom: "Are you glad you have your fingers, even if they don't all work properly?"
His mother told me that he had been having quite a problem lately with the idea that he was going to need to be on a wheel chair for some time and was very sure there wasn't a child ANYWHERE as bad off as he was. Then he met my two children and suddenly felt that he didn't have quite as many problems...
THEN:
My children...
Shekinah: "mom that boy , why doesn't he have elbows that bend?"
Me: "Well, that's how God made HIM."
Shekinah: "Well I'm glad God gave me elbows."

A bit of background on this ...Shekinah has been talking about her hands quite a bit lately and wishing she had more fingers...."or hands like yours, mom." She usually comes to the acceptance "God made me this way, right mom?" So to hear her reason this through was interesting.
I mentioned the fixators to Joseph and said, "I looked at those pins and were glad they didn't live in my house. How about you Joseph?"
Joe:" Well his pins weren't as big as mine and they didn't go through the bone like mine, but yeah I'm glad I don't have to do that again."
I realized that the trauma of the ex-fix apparently affected his memory, but we'll let him go.

Have a good week! Rumor has it that the temps might hit the 50's, but as DH said "I'll believe it when I see it."



No comments:

Post a Comment