Sunday, September 25, 2016

Remembering and Being Thankful

This girl-- we are coming up on four years. Four years ago, I was frantically putting my house in order and fixing freezer meals, praying that my ulcerative colitis behaves itself (do diseases have selves?).  I worried if it was a crazy plan to leave all the children at home, could I go for two weeks without my husband to bounce ideas and give me a steadying hand?
I knew that there was no way we had the funds to again take the whole family to China so this was the best option, but still was this God's plan was I being crazy?

Four years later I can tell you for sure that God had His hand in this. She has taught us so much. I remember showing her pictures to the doctors at Shriner's and Dr Kozin confidently saying, "she'll be fine."  I was glad for his vote, but inside I wondered how he could be so sure of himself. He was right!

Her whole adoption story was a big step of faith.  See, we (well, mostly my hubby) had agreed that we should have all of our children born by the time he turned 40--so that he wouldn't be an "old man" and still teaching teens how to drive.  So this time when we had started looking at files, he told me to look only at files of children of five-years. That would have about worked in his timeline.  But then I came across that picture of that little girl and he had that Sunday morning vision--in church, mind you and well.... He told me that he is sure God was telling him that little girl is to be our daughter,but since she was so young and since we needed a waiver to be approved to adopt, we should probably wait until the agency is willing to "go to bat" for this little one.

We waited about four weeks and then sent in our paperwork requesting permission to adopt this little girl...even if our yearly income did not reach their requested level.  We received permission within a week. I thought the home study would be a breeze after that, after all, we were using the same agency for the third time.  Ah, not so fast! New people in charge, apparently they didn't really like large families and, and, and.
We managed to jump over all their hurdles , squeeze through their flaming hoops, and tunnel through the thorny thickets. God allowed it to actually move forward in good time. My niece and I were flying to meet her in about ten months from the day we sent our first piece of paper.

She is a survivor.
She is brave--last week she was allowed to go to the inner-city kid's club with Zeke and Ben (her sisters were along too). Later she told me about the other girl who just was so curious about her and how they figured she must only speak Spanish because she was so quiet. This little girl declared she was going to pray so that Shekinah has the same hands as everyone else.  I asked her if it bothered her that the other kids asked so many questions. She said, "yeah, but Zeke was protecting me, he sat between me and that girl and told her that she is asking a lot of questions."

I told her that was her big brother's job...she agreed.

She has no problem telling her siblings what they should and should not be doing. She is living proof that the youngest child is the loudest.




She is learning about jokes....she ends them with "boom chee"  Just like the terrible comedian in Adventures in Odyssey.

So the other night dad brought out his joke " If a canoe goes backwards down a one way street and the wheels fall off, how many flapjacks does it take to cover a dog house roof?"

She looked at him a bit cross-eyed and says "none"

Dad says at the same time, "none, because ice cream don't have bones!'

She crowed, " I finally got a joke right!"    boom- chee


Tonite after Joe came home from the freshman/sophomore campout, he had to tell "The Brick Joke"
It's an old joke made up of two stories.  After the first part when everyone else is looking at the story-teller as if he lost his train of thought...Shekinah was roaring with laughter and yelled ,"I get it--boom-chee!"

She wasn't paying attention when he finally got to the punchline at the end.

The other day I complimented her on how fast she could navigate the stairs, I mentioned that some kids still take one step at a time and it showed how fast she is growing because she doesn't do that anymore.  Ever since she has been coming home with stories of who goes up and down the stairs "the wrong way".  I didn't ask her if she informed those children of their error...I really don't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment