Wednesday, December 7, 2016

I Like My Sewing Room Better

I think I like my sewing room better than my kitchen. I spent most of last week and Monday and Tuesday of this week cooking batches of food. I like to eat and therefore need to cook, but somehow sewing and working with fabric seems more relaxing.
Last week it was prep work for hubby's family get-together. We were in charge this year so that meant supply the venue, meat, table settings/decorations, and bread for about 65 people. We rented a place, bought ham and went mostly plastic  for the tables. But you can't just send people home with full bellies you need to do something extra.  Some years the hosts gave flowers to the ladies and ring bologna or candy (something like that) to the men. Another year, it was holiday mugs gathered from thrift shops and filled with chocolates.

We decided to make some chocolates and Hope found some little custard cups at Dollar Tree and we made chocolate. Peppermint patties from here , crockpot candies from here, and a Brownie Truffle sorta from here.
I found out that Peppermint patties are much easier to dip if they are made into round balls.
Crock Pot candy is delicious when you add caramel candy at the end and pretzel pieces with the peanuts.
And, Brownie truffles are great with some cream cheese mixed in the crumbs to help hold the mixture together.

All three candies were a hit. The crock pot candy was so easy, the most difficult thing was to make sure that any hot spots in my cooker didn't burn the chocolate. I think I will probably just use the warm setting the next time.

This week I decided to start on the egg rolls  and pot stickers for Christmas Eve. I made a trip to our favorite Chinese food store and they were out of round wrappers for my dumplings/pot stickers. I used wonton wrappers for some, but I don't like the way they look--picky- picky.

I guess I will resort to making wrappers and finish up Christmas prep next week. I will need to make more egg rolls too, because someone ordered 2 dozen from me....again- next week.

This week I want to make the three wisemen for the Nativity Scene that I started...I figured if I make two or three figures every few days, I can keep up with the date--right? I need to take a picture with some of the figures on it. I got the patterns from here

AND the Christmas program...had no idea of the date and really!? you need new dresses for that? Who knew? Guess what I'm doing the rest of the week.

Then the other day I had this startling thought! In a few short months I will hit 50! I've been wondering if I accomplished what God had planned up to this point?  I had some ideas of things I will do ....sometime. Maybe that is a blog post for another day...any thoughts of what is on my bucket list--I don't have a 5 or 10 year plan, my plans are truly the "bucket" type, just thrown in there and some things swim to the top occasionally. Wonder if that is how you are supposed to do things?


No comments:

Post a Comment