Sunday, March 25, 2018

Kitchen Reveal

Ok I had to go back a piece to get a "before" photo.
Those wooded cabinets were/are decent quality especially the doors. They have been in this house since we built it in 1986. The flooring of the cupboards needs to be replaced.
The paint color looks a bit greenish on this photo, the one below is more accurate.

I really love the "tiles" They were my husband's invention.
We didn't think the "stick-up" tiles seemed high enough quality for what we were 
going to need to pay.
And real tiles were just too expensive and scary to install. So after some brainstorming he came up with a tile made from 3/8" MDF (medium density fiber). He machined an edge to simulate tile. Then painted each one by hand with the best  glossy kitchen and bath paint we could afford. We were going to apply a non-yellowing clear gloss, but it gave- you guessed it- a yellowish tint to the light gray paint.
I need to put up my knife rack so I can get rid of the purple container I'm using now, and get a new paper towel holder.
Oh and the kitchen counter is Typhoon Ice from Home Depot. It was a pre-fab counter, came in three pieces. We were very happy with the ease of installation. The corner comes pre-mitered and you get special bolts to pull the corners together. The miter wasn't cut as straight as we could have wished, but in the scheme of things I don'  think it is noticeable. Cutting the hole for the sink bowls was a bit nerve wracking but a sharp blade on the jig saw made for  good results.
I really like that there is no seam between the counter and the short little backsplash. Our old one cracked and warped there and looked awful...that is why we decided to go with the prefab counter instead of painting the old one.
We ordered a 10' right miter and a 6' left miter and a 4' rectangle countertop and our cost was about $300. I don't know if it will last another 30 years...but probably I don't care.

The one thing that needs changed is the light fixture. One globe is broken and of course finding a match is almost impossible. Replacing all eight of them costs almost as much as putting up new fixtures.

No comments:

Post a Comment