Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Advice Please

This past weekend about 30 families met and shared pot-luck and stories. The common denominator was that each of the families had adopted or was part of the foster system. All of the families are Christians with similar church settings (all Me*nonite)


We shared triumphs and struggles, but the most disturbing/ worrisome were the stories from the moms of the teens (of course), but what bugged me....these kids are members of church youth groups and the comments and ignorance they endured...
anyway .....SOMEBODY'S education and social graces are completely lacking....
My question to you...my 17 readers....
how do I prepare my children for those wonderful teen years?

 I've read some of the WISE-UP stuff, but will those work for those almost adults that are so influential in a teen's life?
 Do you tell your kids to have "thick skin"...."you will always have mean/ignorant/oblivious people in your life, get used to it"    Or WHAT?

I personally would like to go shake some people and I'm "non-resistant"...my girls aren't even teens yet, how in the world am I going to keep the steam from rolling out my ears when it's their turn...or what can I teach them now?

1 comment:

  1. I have no advice for you...we are in the process of adopting an 13 year old girl from China. also have an 18 year old exchange student for the past two years that we love dearly. I often wonder the same thing with my younger girls. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete