Thursday, February 7, 2013

How Do You Know?

 The pictures actually have nothing to do with the post, just tried to get a shot of the 'great pretense'. The first picture actually came after a few shots. Most of the other shots looked like the second picture. Can't wait to take her for professional pictures- should be a blast.





Anyway, so how do you know when you should allow a child to do_____ and let him possibly injure himself. Or should you let him just go ahead and try the high jump and ...well really?
I mean, about 10 months ago I was "encouraging" him to walk down the stairs with a fully loaded basket of laundry and that was dangerous at the time

The other morning the child in question told me that he wants to do the high jump this year in track and field. The first pictures that flashed through my mind were of older brother jumping and overshooting the mat and smacking his head against a cement wall. My mind recoiled.
But really? If a child can't get more than 10 inches off the ground can he throw himself over the high jump bar? I was assured that was not necessary, he can do the "scissors jump"  Umm, OK!




So when Nick Vujicic's parents heard that he wanted to surf, sky dive...whatever...did they just let him?
 and stand by to  pick up the pieces when he wrecks?
 Maybe my imagination is too good.

Not sure why God thought we would be good at this.
I probably goofed, but I informed the young man that I need to see him do a hurdles (10" high) obstacle course on the driveway....first.
I will not be hounding him to do them, it is up to him.

Anyone out there with wisdom?

3 comments:

  1. I think that's the best you can do-let him try the driveway first. We have a guy who wants to go to "regulars" Space Camp-but he face-planted in the storm door Sunday night when he was using crutches and didn't pay attention to where he stepped--I thought we were looking at stitches or a broken tooth before we stopped the gusher of blood. I wonder sometimes if the older ones, especially boys, have something to prove to themselves, or if even though they finally can believe that you like them as well as love them, they have to figure out if they like themselves at all or can figure out where they fit. It seems like an unending competition sometimes...praying for you, for wisdom and imagination that is helpful not nightmarish. Hugging you from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always figure, it's not our job to tell them they "can't". =)
    By the way Nick lives not far from us...I want to get Lucas over to see him. We have a connection with someone that works with him. Just haven't quite done that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No advice, but I can't wait to see the hurdles in your driveway in about 10 days!!

    ReplyDelete