Saturday, February 16, 2013

Seize the Moment!

A little more than two weeks ago, my brother-in-law was probably thinking about spring planting, his 52nd birthday, and how much more snow they would get.

Then he started with some chest pains, bad enough to make him stop chores and come in and rest. Now if you work in medical field at all...you are trained that "pain" means different things to different people. Thankfully his doctor recognized that this man's "pain" was not a hysterical reaction to a hang nail.
He was scheduled for a stress test and failed it. Then he went for a cardiac catherization  on Wednesday. By late afternoon they had made the decision and completed a quadruple by-pass.

Sadly, he has not woke from his anesthesia. At first I was not terribly concerned, my grandfather did the same thing when he had his open heart surgery; he waited about 4 days to wake.  But after two days they did an EEG for, my brother-in-law and then a second and found no brain activity.

My father-in-law had a heart attack at 53 and open heart surgery.  My husband is on cholesterol meds and turns 50 this year....somehow I'm a bit worried. I know that I'm supposed to know that God is ultimately in control here....but....

It gives me new urgency to pay attention to each moment, savor it...take more pictures....not waste time with irritation...I know- good intentions - every day living makes you forget.

I don't know what this week holds, other than some really tough decisions for my sister-in-law and her children, please keep them in your prayers.





on a lighter note: Miss Shekinah loves meat. It's that bad that I  remove the meat platter after everyone's been served or she will keep asking for more and skip the other things on her plate. Trust me, I'm not starving the little sweetie!
 So the other night I removed the chicken legs and asked her to eat her peas. Daddy got up from the table to get coffee and on his way snagged a small piece of chicken and popped it into his mouth. When he sat down Shekinah handed him her fork and said "some?" 
I pretended to ignore, while daddy got a forkful of chicken and handed it to her.
When I glanced sideways at her she had the classic grin of  a two-year-old that thought she got away with something.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I am so sorry about your brother in law. And I can understand your concern about your husband's 50 yr old ticker...My husband's father had a heart attack at 57. Thankfully, he is still with us today but I do think about it that the next generation (statistically) will have heart attacks 5-10 yr younger than their parents...That's in 8 years for my husband.
    Over the past number of years, I have had some pretty serious health issues and I was privileged to be in contact with Dr Fuhrman from New Jersey, a medical doctor who started studying nutrition for athletes in his youth when he and his sister were professional ice skaters. He (among many other medical professionals who now join him) are like no other medical doctors I have ever heard of in that they are saying most of our American diseases are preventable. They are crying out that we are where we are because we are what we eat...over much amounts of meat, milk and cheese, sugar and fat while too little vegetables, fruit, and other plant foods. Their success rate was/is so good (other dr's send their nearly dead and terminally ill patients to them for help when they are at a loss to proceed further; many of them are living today, 5-15 years later) that I decided to adopt their recommendations. Amazing results. Most of my issues are now resolved (6 yr later), the last one being to lose about 30 lb. I have more energy now than I did in my 20's! So, I hope you are not offended by this long epistle but whenever I hear of stories like your bro-in-law and husband, I just can't sit silently by and not 'give back' to my community. These dr's can be found by googling, or I can recommend some reading material/dvds. Look them up on you tube. They have videos there, too. They are not quacks. They are not selling products. That was also a convincing factor to me as I was tired of buying pills and vitamins...
    Dr Fuhrman (from New Jersey) www.drfuhrman.com
    These are others you can google:
    Dr Neil Barnard, Dr John McDougall, T Colin Campbell, Dr Esselstyn, and there is alot of good info at www.hacres.com.
    Dr Fuhrman wrote a few books that are worth checking out (library might carry them): Eat to LIve, SuperImmunity, DiseaseProof Your Kids, and Eat for Health as well as one on diabetes.
    Again, I hope I am not offending you, but I cannot let people think they have to 'live with' the diseases we Americans know. I personally know people who have reversed their diabetes, colitus, and cancer, as well as high blood pressure, etc by following the recommendations of these doctors. It's not hard. It just requires some discipline and commitment.
    God bless you.
    Marcia
    PS
    I am not expecting that you feel obligated to publish this comment. It is meant for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your family's heartache. We are still healing from a miscarriage. Such a reminder that all life is precious. Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sorrowful news about your brother-in-law; I can't imagine how shocking it is for his wife, and family. Prayers for all of you.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete