Sunday, January 19, 2014

Outside My Comfort Zone

                  Yeah, that's my dishwasher sitting in the garage beside the trash bags...it's trash
           It is more than 7 years old and hubby has done multiple repairs on it over the years.
             We thought we had hit on something the beginning of December when we added the TSP to the soap. It did help, but then one day I ran the same load twice and the same carrot pieces were still at the same place on the glass dish. It goes against my frugal Mennonite upbringing to waste time and money, so
 we unloaded the dishwasher for the very last time and started to wash dishes the old fashioned way.
           Well, we use hot water and bubbly soap, I drew the line at sand in the stream, cause I don't think
         that sand kills flu germs. I suddenly realized that I have at least 5 capable, strong, intelligent, young
      delightful...(ok I ran out of adjectives) children that need to learn how to wash dishes. They need
    to learn to work together, how to snap dish towels, argue about spilled water, and dirty forks. I am also remembering an interesting malady known as dish diarrhea/constipation, but we are getting along.
    I informed hubby that I think I will invest in some new drain stoppers, and good dish towels instead of a
             new dishwasher. He took me at my word. I went to a class that evening and by the time I came home he had re-installed the old cabinet. He said he didn't want me changing my mind!
        I barely know what to do with all the space! Shekinah carefully sorted the plates on separate piles and opened the cupboard and exclaimed "beautiful"!  Now I have to remember where I put my stuff. The old drawer is getting worn out as I absent-mindedly open it looking for a fork.  Ben was wondering if I'm trying to confuse him. They tell me change is good for the brain...you don't get so set in your ways.

Have a good week. I'm going to step out of my comfort zone tomorrow 
and speak to a group of high school girls
about adoption during their child-care class.

No comments:

Post a Comment