Friday, April 1, 2016

April Fool's Day

People in this house have been looking forward to this day for a variety of reasons. Hope had a Current Events speech, but she has them about once a week so that isn't anything new. Ezekiel had chapel this morning and I was scheduled to feed 110 students and staff at the high school.

This is the fourth time I've made this meal. It is traditional at our high school for the senior's moms to make a lunch sometime during the school year. If each mom takes a turn we have "hot lunch" almost every Friday for a whole school year. The students each pay ($4 this year) and the money is used to help fund the senior class trip and graduation expenses. If there are more Fridays than moms you can choose to do a second hot lunch to help your child's fund. That would be why this is the fourth lunch, I did it twice for our eldest.  After that I had too many children that I DID know what to do.

The very first hot lunch that I made was the Chinese/Hmong/American meal meal similar to what I made today. It was totally my suggestion and totally my choice...but then it was a TRADITION and you know what we do with TRADITIONS!

If you start a month ahead of time, it really does not take a lot of work to throw it together. Who am I kidding? It was work, but I enjoyed it.

I made 250 egg rolls and put a sign out limiting them to 2 egg rolls until all were served, I should have just let them eat, we would have been fine. I cooked rice this morning, I tried a different method from last year and I think I like it the best so far....well tho' the first year my friend Houa cooked the rice the proper Hmong way and I picked it up at her house all hot and ready to go. Last year I baked it in the oven, covered with plastic wrap topped by foil, it worked but I thought the rice was more gummy.  This year DH lined the ice chest with 2 layers of foil, I preheated it with a jar of hot water (covered), then I cooked the rice in batches of 4 cups at a time and kept it covered  with a layer of paper towel. Extra moisture is your enemy when you are making rice, that is why your rice will turn gummy and glue-y. ( Jasmine rice is the BEST and you cook it one cup dry rice to 1-1/4 cup water)

Then the chicken with a General Tsao sauce and mixed veggies, chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream.

I had great help today, my hubby, my friend and my niece and we actually finished a few minutes before 11. It was great to not run around like...

Anyway Zeke had the school chapel topic and picked April Fool's day as the subject. He gave examples of different familiar "good" quotes by famous dictators and despots. He had them look up  a few Bible verses and then had them look up Hezekiah 7:14 , paused a bit then started reading " And in the fourth month, on the first day of the month, ye shall put that day aside for the public humiliation of those who know not the scripture."
Some people were a bit annoyed at being caught.


Now I can concentrate on the rest of April....things like finishing up the taxes, my newsletter and maybe that dress that is cut and laying on the sewing machine.


Quote from Shekinah: "It's just rain, you won't melt, sugar melts and you're NOT sugar."

PS: We don't share a family toothbrush. Joe got a job for the summer with more hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment