Saturday, February 18, 2012

Questions People Ask...

Or questions people don't have the nerve to ask...
Or questions I don't want to answer when my children are standing close
by (that is a post in itself)
Today DH and I were members of a panel at an adoption seminar. The
people attending the seminar were "thinking about" adoption and they had
questions. Most of the questions were ones we had heard before. There
were no surprises.
They included:
How do you pick an agency?
How did your children already in the home deal with new siblings and
adoption?
How do you deal with the wait?
How do you finance it?
How do you know it is right for your family?
One man gave this answer on the financing...."we chose to go somewhere
between George Mueller (he never asked for help, but prayed to God and
waited. God ALWAYS answered and right on time.) and Larry Bur*ett (he
says "If you don't tell people your needs, how will they know?")
That- Is- Difficult! It is hard on our "take care of yourself"
attitude. It is hard on my pride (after all, these other people didn't
tell us to adopt...so...deal with it!)
But there are people who truly want to know "Really how much does it
cost and WHY?" ( I hope it is because they are considering adoption and
not just morbid curiosity)
So tonite I answered one of the questions..."How much and WHERE?" ( I
don't know "why" except that not many people work pro-bono these days)
Check out the side bar whip out the calculator and add it up....(I'm
afraid to)
Travel is about $150 a day for 14 days plus airfare.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Chris! I've also struggled with the George Mueller/Larry Burkett approaches. I can totally see each of their points of view. I guess I fall somewhere in between too.

    ReplyDelete