Sunday, April 7, 2013

Some Old Recipes

Back in October we splurged on a quarter beef and we were eating roasts and steaks. We are winding down to the ground beef . We try to eat "healthier" chicken in between, but, well, it makes sense to eat what you already paid for.
So the other morning I was mentally reviewing recipes for supper. I really would have preferred something that I can throw in the oven or crockpot....something complete...you know, starch, meat, and veggies all in the same pot.  Then I remembered a recipe that I hadn't made in a long time. My husband loved it, but the boys (the oldest 3) really only tolerated it.  Anyway, I thought that the palates have matured and I really didn't care...so I made Seven Layer Dinner

It's the kind of recipe that doesn't really have measurements, you can make your own ratio. I know that I need a FULL 9x13 pan these days so I sliced and diced until the pan was heaping. After it cooked, things shrank a bit.  Here goes...



Seven Layer Dinner (Supper)

1 thick layer of sliced raw potatoes
1/2 cup of rice (uncooked)   OK, you should measure that one
1 thick layer of carrots, sliced
1 thick layer of onions, sliced , I omitted that one and used dried ones- I still have some sortof picky eaters
2 pounds of ground beef
1 quart of tomato juice
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Layer everything in the pan in the order given. Bake uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours at 350. If you see it is browning too much cover it with foil for the last 1/2 hour.



Shoe-fly Cake
This one is from a very old cookbook (1978)  Indiantown Mennonite Church's My Favorite Recipes
It was typed on a typewriter! So you know it is very old!

4 cups flour ( I used half whole wheat this time and it looks fine)
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter

combine these ingredients. Work into fine crumbs. Put 1-1/2 cups aside to put on top of the cake.

2 cups boiling water
1 cup molasses (corn syrup)
2 tsp soda

Mix boiling water, molasses and soda into the flour, sugar, butter mixture. Mix well.
Pour into pan and sprinkle crumbs on top.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. i just made shoefly cake the other night. Only half a portion because that is all I had molasses for. It was so good, dont know why I dont make it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you cook the ground beef first? Sorry I may have posted this before but my computer kicked me off the internet and I don't know if it posted or not. Cara

    ReplyDelete