Saturday, April 30, 2016

Cooking School

I am embarrassed to say I forgot to blog about this! Back in March a friend and I decided we would take our girls to a cooking school...just for fun and for a bonding experience. Things did not quite go as expected and the other mother needed to spend time in the hospital, but her daughter was able to attend with her aunts. We chose The Culinary Classroom and we decided "Asian Appetizers" sounded like fun.

We gathered around her huge butcher block island and measured and mixed.

We made sushi (California sushi without raw fish)


Made steamed dumplings

and Vietnamese Spring Rolls

We loved it and came home to make more food the next week.

Discovered that you really should grate your ginger or run it through a food processor or your family will make little piles of ginger on their plates when they eat the steamed dumplings.

Shekinah cut out the circles of parchment for the steamer baskets.

The effects of watching cooking shows live on in her play-dough creations.

Someone turned 14 during this month!


This week I went to a quilting with my aunts and their daughters- my younger cousins- was an interesting noisy commotion.  At the end of lunch we were served coffee and this was my mug. 
I worked there  from 1984-1987 and I never saw mugs like this! I sat at a sewing machine 8-9 hours a day and sewed the binding at the bottom of Onesies. You sewed about an inch, inserted a "Onesie" label and sewed to the end of the front half of the shirt. The machine was advanced enough to have an electric eye and a cutting blade that cut the binding and then we started around the edge of the back flap of the shirt. We got paid by the dozen and you hoped for mostly size "small" because your pay was better with that size. In those days $7-8 an hour was good pay...but then I filled the tank of my VW Rabbit with a $10 bill.


 Last night hubby and I went to see Sight & Sound's production of Samson. At the beginning of the show they announced that they did add a few characters to the show and some details, so I set out to see if I could find them.  This morning I pulled out my Bible and read the account of Samson in Judges and am still a little embarrassed. I didn't know the story of Samson's life very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment