Sunday, September 4, 2016

City Life and Country Life


Cleaned up my multiple camera cards, I need to keep better track of life.
We had a Monarch nursery this summer and watched a few of them hatch.
We are waiting on some swallow tails to hatch too.
Shekinah learned to swim this summer. I was worried that a couple of episodes would scare her off, but she is a determined little mite!


For the first year, I decided to try canning grape juice. I was worried this might be a lot of 
hard work. I was pleasantly surprised, it was a lot of fun.  My SIL has a steamer juicer. It has three levels, the bottom one has water in it, the middle section with the hose attached has the space for the juice. The very top level has small holes in the bottom and you put the grapes in there.  Set it on your outdoor cooker. Let the water boil awhile and after awhile you release the hose clamp and the juice comes out into your waiting jar. I was told you can put on the lids and allow it to seal. ( I know that isn't an approved method, but we shall see)  One 1/2 bushel basket gave me 10 quarts of concentrated juice. One quart of concentrate made a gallon of juice, I added one cup of sugar and we seem to have a winner. 


This is what was left after all the juice was collected.

Hope started school the same week the others did...well actually she started in July, but this was the first official day. 


And then a "Ben in the City" post.
A couple of the kids from Ben's street wanted to see "where Ben lived" after a second attempt at gaining permission and finding the interested parties. Saturday was finally the day.
The other adult that was going to ride along, had last minute plans. It looked like "Mr Ben" would have to go back on his word and I almost told him that they needed to learn those life lessons too.
Actually, I did tell him that, then I felt guilty.
So I called Ben back and told him I'd drive out and be the second adult.

We still needed to wait awhile for the right persons to show up, so the violin/ukelele came out. The poor thing wasn't a high priced musical instrument when I bought it, but it wasn't made to make those kinds of noises (not the kid shown above, but another one that was there).
The street is pretty quiet at noon on a Saturday...life was definitely happening at 7 PM when we took the boys home again.

We spent the afternoon shooting baskets, riding rip stick, whittling sticks for marshmallow roast, riding bike and generally tiring them out. 

This little girl has some strength in that small hand! She can't swing hand over hand yet,but I didn't think she would manage this either.



No comments:

Post a Comment