Sunday, December 12, 2010

School

Youngest Brother has been saying he would like to go to school.
The dilemma we face is that our small private school is not set up for
ESL or a lot of one on one tutoring. They are a wonderful school for
just regular kids.
I thought I could just HS Youngest Brother for this school year and then
in the fall he would be good to go for 5th grade, but somewhere along
the line I started realizing that he thinks he is not as good as the
other kids because he stays home with me.
I started hearing the stories of his last year and a half at the
orphanage...the other kids went off to school and he got to stay back
with the kids who were mentally disabled....(well, he points to his head
and says "no good" so I'm reading between the lines) The orphanage
staff told him he can't go to school because he might get pushed over
and break his prosthesis. While he was in his foster family he did go to
school with the other kids, but his education still seems a bit spotty.
He did say that his China Mom would tell him "no go because of feet" So
I am wondering if he stayed home on rainy or snowy days.
So we decided to check into another private school that just started ESL
and has learning support and they were happy to accept him. So the
initial plan is to meet on Tues after school and possibly start 1/2 days
this week.
I told him that he can meet the teacher and talk to him...he said "no"
and motioned that his heart would be pounding, he said " me no remember
English"
Poor kid....he does want to go to school, but I'm not sure how it will go.
For starters the pants situation....He spent 10 years of his life in
sweats, then he comes to this strange household where you wear sweats to
sleep and for PE, but school will require pants with a belt....yes, and
that pesky right-handed zipper needs to be closed....and if you pull
your pants up to your belly button...they are too short....I know they
don't feel right resting on your hips....but no they won't fall down!
I am hoping that now I can go on to being mom...not mom and teacher....I
think he worries when his school work is difficult and he gets something
wrong....I think he worries that he is disappointing me. I know he does
not like to see me frustrated...if one of the others is giving me a hard
time...he steps in to "help". At first I wondered if it was a control
thing, but I'm wondering if it is more of a fear that mom will "loose
it" (not that I ever would :^O) I don't know...guess time will tell.The other day I was telling my mom that I am amazed how busy I
am....even with a newborn...they took naps sometimes....but I also
didn't feel like I was failing if they just lay on the floor cooing....
Youngest Brother would be happy to play mindless computer games (or
watch TV which we thankfully don't have) all day... but I know he needs
to catch up, there is a spot out there for that smart brain of his.
Unfortunately, it will take some hard work. So I am constantly trying to
keep him occupied with good education computer if the other stuff is done.Anyway, I must have sounded sort of negative...my mom asked if I would
do this again if I had know everything....
mom....the answer is YES!


5 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, friend! I think going to school sounds like a good option for him. It will be scary at first but hopefully he will quickly meet some new friends and settle in nicely.

    But have you also considered having him go part-time? Maybe it wouldn't be as overwhelming for him for the remainder of the year. Then hit it full-force next fall. ??? Two of my kiddos go to school for a few classes then homeschool the rest. It works out well for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is one smart kid and will catch up with his english. school may help that and help him accelerate. half days sound like a great starter plan for school...and then he will feel like he is just like the other kids with going to school. I bet he will feel that he is a pretty big deal to go to school--poor kid was treated like he wasn't "good enough" his whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to know what to do sometimes. We are in the same boat with our new 9 year old. I've kept him home and plan to enroll him in school in January, but it's really hard to see how he will fit in because his education in China was a total fail (as my kids would say.) He is basically at Kindergarten level and is not picking up English well at all. We will start with 2 hours of ELL class and that is all for now. He is very resistant to any academic work at all with me. He still is working on writing his name at this point. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! I love knowing that no matter how difficult things become at times, you still feel as if it is all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore you!!!!! What a great momma you are!!!

    ReplyDelete