Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Mother's Day

Yes, I am fully aware that last Sunday was Mother's Day and we did take care of the flowers for our mothers. However, we were the host family for church last Sunday. At our church that means you ( I mean we) spend the week cleaning or making lists of corners that need to be cleaned before Sunday morning. Also , it means preparing a meal that can mostly be cooked in a crock pot or the oven and be  pretty much table ready by 12 noon.  I don't mind that part at all, but what puts me beyond my comfort zone is --I don't know who my guests will be! I don't know what they like to eat...or don't like!

The point of having a host family is to make sure that visitors to our church will not go home hungry...plus it gives you a chance to get to know the visitors a little better. If there are no visitors, you ask around for a couple of families that didn't already put their dinner (lunch) in the oven.

Well, all that to say, my Mother's Day was not very relaxing.

So last night I stated that I was only going to do the things I wanted to do today.

I could see the wheels turning in some people's brains...does this mean we get to do whatever we want tomorrow? or does this mean we get to do what mom doesn't want to do?  I kept them guessing, because I really didn't know either.

I started out pretty good....I rolled out of bed at 6AM because dear hubby had rolled out at some awful hour starting with a 3...so I felt a little guilty....that is till I got to the bottom of the stairs and decided I really am not ready to face the day yet.

So I crawled onto the sofa and fell asleep again, only to be woken by that crazy cardinal that faithfully taps the window multiple times a day. Then I dreamed that the 3 girls came down and told me Shekinah needs to go to the bathroom, but the next thing I knew Ben was walking through the living room...he wondered what was wrong with me!

I ate breakfast
Then I baked 4 loaves of bread because I didn't feel like baking 8. ( I know that will catch up to me on Tues)
I sewed a few patches for the quilt I am trying to finish.
Gave orders (made a list) --decided it wouldn't be good for them to have the whole day off.

Then after feeding the troops hot dogs we put them in the care of the youth group and we went on a date!!
(This is a once a year event, not a weekly thing)...the baby-sitting I mean

We ate supper at Applebees and went window shopping at Big Lots....

It was a great Mother's Day



3 comments:

  1. LOL.... that crawling onto the couch thing. :)
    So glad you got to have some time!
    I am going to try my hand at bread once again.... GF bread is just too expensive to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, that was not Alli.... It was Christie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had one of those cardinals and we put some leftover party helium balloons in front of that window (red, so maybe he thought they were big cardinals!) and the air vent blows them around so he took off. You might try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete