Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not Fair!

No I'm not talking about the big things that aren't fair. I'm not talking about "why did I need to have 3 moms and other kids only need one?"
Not about "why do we have plenty of food and other kids don't?"
Not about "why do I get to have a soft bed and a roof over my head and other kids don't?"

I'm talking about the every day fairness...In our house we have 8 people and the Popsicles come in packs of 12. That means after every one has 1 there are ....calculator please ....4 left over.

Who gets to eat the last 4?!

The worst thing is when there are 8 cookies in the pack and daddy doesn't want his because he's watching his cholesterol.

Who gets the last left over cookie?

If I allow the first come, first serve mentality. There will be some people who never leave the kitchen for fear they will miss an opportunity.
If I allow the first person that notices the left over cookie, that leaves out the short people who can't see up on the kitchen counter.
If I make them take turns, I will be needing to keep complete and accurate records because we live in a household of "bean counters" and I will be corrected and reprimanded for forgetting someone's turn.


I find my self saying "no" to a lot of things because I know if I do something for one child, I will be expected to do the same thing for at least 3 more children. This is the toughest part of this fairness thing. I can claim the cookie, eat the popscicles at lunch time with Shekinah (what they don't know won't hurt them),and even throw away that last bit of the chip bag, but how do you handle the careful collection of data that tends to come out as accusations on tough days?

Yes, mom, I know you told me "life isn't fair"











2 comments:

  1. and I get weary with just one child who watches my every move to be sure he does not get even half a chip less than anyone else! Have a good day dividing food equally among the troops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy 2 boxes of popsicles!

    Invite a friend over and give them the last cookie!

    Wrap the last cookie up as a gift and take it to someone who will understand this silliness, like Grandma.

    Have a drawing and draw the cookie winner's name out of a hat!

    ReplyDelete