Monday, July 23, 2012

Rush Order and Bees in the Eve

 Occasionally, Hannah the lady I work for, gets a rush order. This time...."can you possibly finish this by the end of August?  for a retirement gift"  Oh wait, we don't actually have all the fabrics together and the pattern is not quite finalized...and it is already the very end of June. Mom and I looked at each other and said "sure"

When I saw the  fabrics, I couldn't resist...a little applique and bit of embroidery and LOGO's
 I have NEVER made a quilt featuring feminine products and food and well, yeah they are all from the same company for an employee of that company.

We divided out the fabrics, each taking the parts we liked best...she took some applique to the cabin this past weekend.


 
The patterns looked like this...it is the closest we get to architectural drawings...just remember to add a 1/2 inch to the squares and 7/8" to the triangles and we will be fine.  And be sure to cut it right the first time because there is not another square featuring your favorite cake mix or any of the others.


I started with most of the components ...leaves, acorns and bears paws, applique ....assembled this morning

At 4:30 AM


Then since my children are such willing helpers. I sewed most of the day. While they did the laundry and pulled weeds in the garden.     By 9:00 PM  I had this



Mom is finishing the top border and tomorrow we will deliver it to have the quilting lines marked on the quilt. Mom plans to quilt it...and she said she will give me the money...to pay for a portion of those plane tickets!   Who's gonna argue?


Yup, that is Metamucil up there in the corner!

 While I was hard at work this evening, DH decided to get rid of a huge wasp nest that was undiscovered until last week when a little visitor noticed it...Thanks Kevon!
 Since paying for expensive exterminators is not in our vocabulary or budget....That's a shop vac,

 some plastic pipe and a bunch of duct tape...so there are not surprise pipe malfunctions...
guide the pipe up to the hole of the nest and in they go! ping, ping!







Now certain individuals were not so sure that all the bees would end up in the shop vac...so various weapons were on display.


 Apparently some of them felt a bit more confident...
Now we have a whole canister of buzzing bees in the back yard...there have been strict instructions to "Leave them alone!"

7 comments:

  1. LOL about the bees and the quilt! :) What a job!
    How nice to have $$ for tickets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to say that the quilt is beautiful, but unique and original is about the best I can come up with right now:)

    And, concerning the bees, I would put that under the "knight in shining armor" category!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you! I was so curious to see what you would do with this fabric. What fun! How generous of your mom to donate to your adoption fund. I look forward to following your journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and ahhhhhhh- regarding the bees! That's me running away screaming!

    Shoulda put a little bee killer in the bottom of the vac? But in time they will die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did put bee killer in the vac after it was filled. I did not stay around to monitor that operation!

      Delete
  5. Okay the bee story would have forced me indoors until no more buzzing was heard!!!!

    Like the unique quilt, heck just think you quilts are the best!!! I know because I see mine everyday and think of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell your husband that was smart! Expensive exterminators don't work anyway. We hired them last summer when our son had to spend the night in ICU after being stung. We ended up doing all the work ourselves anyway!!

    ReplyDelete