Monday, January 7, 2013

Stir Fried Rice in the Crockpot?!


I wanted something easy, that could wait and that contained ingredients that were already in the house.   That ruled out a lot of dishes...well for these PA Dutch folks anyway. We ate our 10 pounds of potatoes in 2 meals, the 1 # of spaghetti wasn't gonna go very far ( we do a lot of carbs- I'm feeding growing children)  So that left rice. Googled stir fried rice and added 'crock-pot' to the search too  came up with this   and this   but of course the amount was to serve 4 and had wonderful things like mushrooms. So I came up with this:
Stir Fried Rice in a crock-pot
serves 10 with a little for lunches tomorrow
5 cups rice, cooked
6-1/4 cup water
2-3 cups vegetables
3 eggs
garlic
ginger
black pepper
salt
2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tsp soy sauce
2-1/2 cups cooked chicken
Early in the day
Cook 5 cups of rice in 6-1/4 cups water  so that the rice is not over cooked
Let rice sit till 4 hrs before serving time
When time to start crock pot
fry one onion ( very finely diced at our house) in
olive oil
garlic
chop 4-5 carrots
chop a chunk of cabbage
1-1/2 cup frozen peas
The veggies are mix and match use what you have. I didn't cook any of them except the onions and then needed to have the crockpot on high for the 4 hours. If your veggies are cooked you won't need as much heat or time.
Spray crockpot with vegetable spray or oil it in some way.
Throw veggies in crock pot  add,
3 eggs
ginger  ( sprinkle on some dry approx 1/2 tsp)
stir them up
Drizzle  1-2 tablespoons sesame oil over the cooled or left over rice
              2-3 tsp soy
              black pepper
              olive oil
              add salt to taste ( not too much)
Stir the oils around in the rice so that the grains separate, I think that kept my end result from being mush.
Throw the rice in the crock pot
And don't forget the meat like I almost did!
I had left over roasted chicken, I think the stir fry is better if the meat has a little flavor...salt, pepper
I added some ginger teriyaki sauce that was around...but plain chicken would work too
Stir the very full crock pot, mixing everything
I ended up stiring it about every 45 min, so that my carrots cooked...so next time I think I will blanch
my veggies so I don't have to stir it.
             

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy, need to try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some cute little Chinese kids that would think I'm a pretty decent mommy if I make this!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete