Sunday, October 6, 2013

Confessions of a Mennonite Housewife*

I'm not sure who to blame, but somewhere along the line Mennonite women have been expected to be meticulous housewives and wonderful cooks.  Can I blame Swiss ancestry..maybe the Germans?

But somewhere I missed the important link.

My front stoop hasn't been scrubbed...well in a very long time. It did get swept on Saturday though.

I wash my kitchen floor when my shoe sticks to a sticky spot.

I wash windows when we are expecting guests, but only if they will arrive in the daylight.

I clean under to stove when some precious item rolls under there...

The fridge gets wiped when there is a clear spot because it is time to grocery shop...or if there is a spill.

My desk has a hidden magnet that attracts all sorts of paper. I have plans how to be organized, but somehow keep getting interrupted.

The bedrooms get swept more often when there is no mowing to be done outside...since somehow that  seems like a good masculine job.  Since I go to bed when it's dark and get up when it's still dark (mostly)
However, the living room carpet bothers me A LOT when it's  dirty because the carpet has a black background. DH picked it  one of those times when I told him "Just pick it, I really don't care what we put in there." (I think we were doing adoption stuff at the time) I do love the design, it just shows the threads from my sewing projects.

The kitchen floor is another spot that gets swept even if washing is infrequent, since I can't stand crumbs sticking to my bare feet.

Social workers have a way of kicking me into gear and I guess we have our one year post-placement coming up!

*May have been exaggerated to show humor.

On a serious note, you can join us in praying for Josh. He's a young man (17) from our school and church who was diagnosed with cancer for the 2nd time in two years. He had just healed from his leg amputation (bone cancer) and was looking forward to learning to walk with his new prosthesis. God specializes in miracles, so we wait to see what He has planned.


2 comments:

  1. Really, you and I are twins separated at birth. Everything you said, I can totally relate to!!





    My heart is SO heavy for Josh. I am praying for him and his family. Goodness, Jesus...please HEAL and RESTORE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris! You describe me exactly, and if you truly did exaggerate to prove a point, then you are a better housewife than am I. Except that I know your desk does not have a magnet that attracts papers, at least I'm pretty sure that isn't how magnetism works... haven't you read that science book yet?

    ReplyDelete