Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Naming Your Child

When we received our first approval for our son...we used his Chinese
name when referring to him... I couldn't give him a name from me at that
point...there were too many unknowns.

Then finally we had final approval and the name search was on....we had
kicked names around, but knew that we needed to keep his original name
(or most of it) and then add a name from us. We wanted a Bible name,
like our other kids, but it had to sound right with his Chinese name.

We looked at meanings a little bit, but mostly just decided "does it
sound right"

We agreed on "Joseph" I must say it was not my first pick, but I
figured we will probably stick with the Chinese name which by now was
the name that flowed off my tongue when I spoke of him.

We met him and asked if there was a nick-name...no, they always used his
full name...akk! my mom only used my full name when I was in trouble! So
we shortened it to just his given name...and he was with us a day or
two before we had the guide tell him about his additional names....he
tried them out...but when asked a few days later, he preferred the
shortened Chinese name we had been calling him.

"no problem" that's what I've been calling him all along.

We get home... and we asked again, because he had been asking "momma -
ming-zu?" or "Momma, what's your name?" (what's my name?) so after
awhile he remembered and said "me, Joseph."

We used the translator and asked which name he preferred and he said
"Joseph"

OKAAAY, so now I'm using both names....

Then the other night I showed him the character for Joseph in the Bible
Story Book (written in Mandarin) He grabbed the translator and entered
the characters...gave theatrical moans...and pointed to the
translation...."shivering whisper"

Oh boy!

So we got on the computer and pulled up the English translation of
Joseph....means "The Lord will increase"

Not sure if he is convinced that we had the English meaning in mind
(cause we really hadn't looked it up).

I need to find out from someone, how they translate those old Hebrew
names into Mandarin characters...is is by phonetic sound or do they take
meaning into account.

Thankfully "shivery whisper" is in bed...he decided tonite was the night
to make shoes for one of the dolls...more on "James-boy" (doll's new
name) later...and his tape and fabric shoes.

Oh, about the picture...after days of rain...we saw a sun-dog...I think
I will just call it another rainbow.

2 comments:

  1. The rainbow looks like a smile to me. Your posts are all so thoughtful and always make me smile too (cry sometimes too!). Can we start planning a Dec get together? Give your littlest one a hug from us.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. He doesn't like "Shivering Whisper"? I think it's pretty cool, myself, but I don't know what it means to him. Perhaps the Lord will increase in him through a shivering whisper... slowly, quietly, and yet somewhat stunningly?

    ReplyDelete