Thursday, January 26, 2012

Crazy Language

The English language is crazy, we all know that...we use different
pronouns - he, she, him, her...
We use all those "being verbs" have, has, had...
Then we have "figures of speech" and "puns"
Our family LOVES figures of speech and puns and the dictionary is often
at the supper table...sometimes the laptop...just so we can solve a
"discussion"
The other night oldest brother and his wife were with us for supper and
in the course of conversation we talked about my brother's computer
business.
Daddy said, "Yeah, his office is really hopping."
Joseph said, "Hopping?"
I answered, " Only the desks."
Zeke inserted gleefully, "Yeah, if the rooms would be hopping the
building would fall down."
Joseph deadpanned, "Oh."
Demetrius looked from one to the other and said "Aren't you going to
clarify that for him?"
I said, "no, he gets it." ( I really wasn't sure that he did, but I
thought he could figure it out)
Joseph just looked at Demetrius..."it means they very busy" "I'm good at
acting. I play 'I Doubt It' very well."
That you do young man!
We got another report card today...it proves we don't need to clarify
very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment