Friday, August 30, 2013

Grandmother-hood is Getting Closer!

   Our Daughter-in-law's family and friends threw a baby shower. We tried to surprise her, but FB proved a traitor and she found out...
         I was asked to get the cake...I just was not sure what to make/buy. I asked her sister for help. She sent me a web picture of a cake made in the shape of baby converse sneakers. That lady was an artist! she even made the shoes worn and a clear imitation of her nephew's shoes. I knew that was way out of my league. I sent her a message and said "ha ha! very funny"  But those shoes bugged me and thanks to some wonderful online tutorials like this one I decided to give it a try.

No pictures of the painful learning curve. Found out that ...

fondant does not perform well in humidity
fondant is sort of like working with modeling clay
fondant takes quite awhile to dry, even in the basement next to the dehumidifier
I think that putting a form (foot) inside the shoe and leaving it dry for a few hours is a good idea.
you should start your project more than one day before the party

Anyway, after my 3rd attempt this morning at 4AM, I decided that I will need to buy the cake. Glad I did...W-mart had a yellow cake that looked good with my shoes and they did the writing for me (I usually mess that part up)

Met hubby for lunch today, if you live in this area September Farms is a very good place for lunch. I think it would be a good place to take the girls for a "mama day".

1 comment: