Monday, August 5, 2013

Rambling Thoughts

When we are out and about I never know how people will respond to my little brood  or tribe depends on their view of things. The other week I went to a local farm to pick up some green beans. I knew the lady only through my sister-in-law, but I had never actually met the lady.  I took Shekinah with me.
I knew that given the nature of small towns and the broader Mennonite grape-vine she probably knew that I was the lady with Chinese children.
When I got to the farm and paid for the beans she mentioned that there were onions in the field...free for the taking, since they were 2nds...maybe 3rds...only because they wouldn't keep well unless someone could do something with them today, tomorrow at the latest.
She rode with me to the field, when we ventured into the field Shekinah trailed behind and carried some bags, picked up onions and was her normal charming self....after we were finished the lady commented  "she shares something with some of the children in my family."  "She has such straight black hair."
I said, "Oh, I thought maybe someone in your family has the cleft hands." I meet up with people who have a relative who is missing fingers...usually it turns out to be amniotic banding.
She said, "What? her hands?  Oh I never even noticed, I was just watching her."

She earned a star in my mind...she's on the same page as the dear people who look at me and say, but aren't you  like a quarter Chinese?

On other things...why do I start so many things on Mondays?  A quilt run, lunch at mom/grandma, a bushel of tomatoes = 16 quarts of juice and 7 pints of pizza sauce,  help to clean school for the new year.




Tomorrow- start the 5 dresses that Hope thinks she needs for the school year...uniform dresses thankfully...no decisions to make..except maybe, pockets or no pockets?

And all that time 2 delightful stacks of fabric for new quilts await, but first things first.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and your sweetie's hands. I just posted this week about a similar encounter on my blog:)

    The quilt is beautiful! I don't know how you have time to get it all done! I haven't made anything in forever! SOmeday my sewing room will see me again when it is for me sewing:)

    ReplyDelete