Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sibling Rivlalry- good thing or bad thing?

We hit the public library and I had to stop these two from emptying the
shelf of Arthur chapter books.
They settled on bringing home about 8 of them.
This morning Hope announced that she had finished the second book. I
said "oh OK, good job"
I did not notice the effect on 'slightly older brother' after I
finished his pin care, I gave him one of the few jobs he can do right
now...emptying the dishwasher.
"But what is Hope going to do?!" "She read!"
Suddenly it was very clear...he had only finished one book and she had
two....
They have been frantically reading the rest of the day...if only mom
wouldn't keep giving they jobs!

1 comment:

  1. I would probably have never learned to dive if my little sister-not the one a year younger, but the one three years younger!-hadn't done it first and been praised for her bravery. Even as adults we try to keep up with one another. It motivates us. So it can be a really good thing. It is a bad thing when it interferes with the sibling to sibling relationship, and that is all about the adults in their lives and how the adults treat, praise, and discipline them.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete