Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Change of Plans

              Well my day turned out to be more ambitious than I'd planned. This morning I was in no rush. Ben is off on work week, so no lunch to pack and I didn't need to get up at 5AM!  I printed out some work sheets for the kiddos (much to Hope's delight) and was slowly editing the newsletter I  need to get printed this month. The phone rang and my very energetic sister-in-law asked me what I was doing today...it is not like her to be so blunt. Turns out she told her son to go check the corn and he came back to tell her that every.last.ear. was ready....not something you want to hear at 10:00AM on one of the hottest days of the year!  For that type of job you start at the crack o' day!
We put 'er in high gear and went to husk, silk and cut corn. How many dozen? Y'know what? I wasn't about to count, but you know those big "Yoder-toter" vans? They have one of them...with out the last seat....and that whole area was FULL of corn!  Got home around 3-ish and decided to cook on the back porch...ruined the effect by baking a corn pie in the oven....but we didn't melt completely. I have to applaud my children, I didn't hear a single "discouraging word"  Some of them disappeared about 2PM and went off to play, but since they were younger than 10 I didn't say much.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's a ton of corn. And a TON of work! But how very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that as a kid... I loved putting up corn! The last few years the drought here has been so bad that even with watering we haven't gotten enough to put up. This year, I didn't even plant any and I was sort of glad because the hail would have gotten it anyway... but I can't wait to be in your shoes again someday!

    ReplyDelete