Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sisters?

The other week we went to Knobels then the following week we went to Lake Tobias. 
When we go away as a family it is interesting to see the reaction of by-standers, sometimes
 like at Knobels we have the nice people like the man  that walked past us and said, 
"You have a nice family"
I guess we are a bit noticeable, but often it is more of the friendly smile and the knowing look.

Then we were at Lake Tobias, it was an interesting experience 
there were a few times when people actually stopped and stared, 
turned around in their seat and stared kind of thing.
Almost as if they didn't think we would notice
I don't think anyone had their pants on backwards!
and they weren't even being loud and Shekinah was actually behaving herself.

Now Saturday! there was every excuse for staring!
Daddy decided to take the boys biking and of course the girls couldn't just stay home! 
So we did the perennial girl thing...we went shopping! Well we tried...

But Shekinah! for whatever reason decided she was going to be difficult.
She started out by DEMANDING that I comb her hair, I was combing Hope at the time. 
I told her she needs to wait and also needs to "talk nice"
We wanted to do the dishes first, so I told her she should say "Mama please comb my hair."
Well she disintegrated into a screaming mess. We almost stayed home, but I decided she can't ruin everyone's day, but warned the girls we might need to come home early.

Finally just combed her, then she changed to tune to "I WANT GUM!"  I told her I didn't hear a single "please" or "mama"  so it's not an option. Just as we were about to step out the door I heard a tiny voice say, "Please, mama?"
She got her gum

Then on to Wa*mart and I needed to tell her "no" and scoop her back into the cart because she got very bold and wandered off. That started the screaming again, so we needed to pay for our stuff and leave.
I did the "smile and wave" and Hope whispered, "she's not related to us."
After some sympathetic looks from other people we got out of there.
We were silly enough to go to the mall after that and stopped at the Chinese restaurant in the food court. The lady behind the counter said "they look like sisters."  I smiled and said, "they are and I'm their mama."
Confused the poor lady.  "How you get 3 Chinese children?
Guess she didn't think I'm Chinese.
I did tell her that we adopted them, and Hope got a job offer from the manager.

Think they look like sisters?




2 comments:

  1. So my mom's best friend from college is Italian decent. Her husband of German decent. Their two girls are adopted from Korea. And look Korean. At a party my mom threw, my sister's friend's mother came up to this woman and told her how beautiful her girls looked, and how much they looked like her but nothing like their dad. She stammered out a reply that they were adopted, from Korea. The other woman said incredulously "So their not yours biologically? Did you choose them because they look like you?" (Completely honestly, no sarcasm) My mom's friend had no idea how to reply, so just thanked her and walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should meet at Walmart. Then 5 Chinese girls running thru the aisles would certainly raise eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete