Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BORING! But Necessary

I saved this post for a dull spot in my life... well I guess dull isn't exactly the word...just same old excitement every day.

Anyway, before Joseph came home we had to reorganize the bedrooms and we put 4 boys in one room. Our bedrooms are not all that large and neither are the closets. I was trying to figure out how on earth we would fit the clothing of 4 boys in one room (very glad it wasn't girls-woulda never fit). Somewhere in that time frame I read about the Duggars and their method for handling laundry.

I actually talked my hubby into making a clothing room in the basement. My reasoning ran something like this....during the winter we dry our clothing in the basement in front of the wood stove anyway...most of the clothing ends up in the basement and cannot find its way up to the dressers in the bedrooms.


After much nagging...umm sweet talking   he agreed and built these 'cubbies'.




Each person has two blocks and I can tell at a glance who did not put away their laundry. As you can see none of us is terribly neat. The out of season clothes is packed in boxes under the dress racks...an ironing board sits ready to be used and a laundry basket is waiting by the door for dirty laundry. The boys usually use the dressing room and the girls being the younger ones, grab their clothes and dress in the bathroom where I am handy to help if needed...If someone wants to dress in their bedroom, they are more than welcome to take their clothes to their bedroom BUT laundry only gets collected in the bathrooms or the clothing room (old meanie I am)

Since we live in the woods, we need a breeze and sun at the right time of the day in order to dry laundry outside...so from November to April this drying rack is my friend....find one at My Amish Goods   my niece and nephew make them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I don't think this is boring at all! Laundry is the biggest problem we face at our house as well. There is always a pile of it lying around, usually on our kitchen floor or in the family room since our laundry room is barely big enough to hold the washer and dryer. No room for a drying rack or anything else. Makes me crazy. Plus, I am not very neat and tidy to begin with...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the family closet! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first got married that wooden stand was the only "clothes dryer" we could afford! We lived in a tiny apt. and had to make our way around the "clothes dryer" on laundry day. It did a good job, and never shrank my clothes ;)

    ReplyDelete