Saturday, September 1, 2012

Homemade Tortillas and Sweet Waffles

White Flour Tortillas (from Favorite Recipes from Quilters)

makes 8-12 tortillas
4 cups flour (use some whole wheat)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp shortening
1-1/2 cups warm water
1. combine dry ingredients, then cut in shortening. Add water, and work dough with hands until manageable.
2. Knead dough 15- 20 times. Let rest for 10 min (optional- I never have the extra time) Form dough into balls the size of an egg. Roll each piece out into a 6-8 " circle.
3. Fry in electric skillet or frying pan, cook 2 min. on each side until done. I use a bit of shortening to fry these.


I like the flavor , but they do not stay flexible if you save the left overs for the next day. I guess I should try heating them between wet paper towel in the microwave?

Joseph swooned the first time I made these. Apparently his foster mom had made these and they filled them with vegetables.

Sweet Waffles
(created one long ago weekend when we had time to be creative)
It is actually half a cake recipe and half a waffle recipe

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup softened butter, shortening or oil
1-1/4 cup milk
2-1/2 cups flour
2 large eggs
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sugar and butter together, add dry ingredients, then add the milk and eggs

or if you cook like I do, mix the sugar and butter, then add the rest....it will mix.
cook in the waffle iron just like regular waffles.

I put mine in the oven in a single layer for cooling so they don't get soggy.
Use the waffles to make ice cream sandwiches. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so stoked that you posted your tortilla recipe! And I can tell just by glancing at it that I will love it because of the shortening! My recipe calls for vegetable oil....which I've never been thrilled with.

    THANK YOU! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome, I will try them. When we were in Kenya I used to make my own tortillas, I haven't done it in awhile so I will have to try your recipe, Not sure if I still have the one I used to use!

    ReplyDelete