Monday, November 4, 2013

"I like Wang shou-shou"

She has a photo album of our journey home. In it I have pictures of her foster mom who she seems to have forgotten, but we keep reminding her of the name she used. She called her "ni-ni" (long i) . Then there is a picture of our driver whom we called "Wang shou-shou"  Wang being his surname and "shou-shou" being the term for uncle. She usually asks for his name when we look at her book. I remind her, but the next time she asks the same question.  And I wonder, "does she even hear me, does she have a learning disability?"  or is she just playing games...?

Today we went to Wa*mart for that wonderful family picture and as we were leaving, I was unloading the cart, cause you know, I might as well make the stop worth my time...we needed peanut butter, milk, flour, baking powder, coffee creamer, dishwasher soap....
Anyway...she was facing the parking spaces while I was unloading, I noticed a Toyota truck park in one of the facing spots and noticed that the couple was Asian. My brain sort of goes on 'alert' when she is "alone" and is faced with Asian people...sometimes she doesn't seem to notice their features, the next time, she will practically crawl out of the cart to get to me.  It seems to make a difference in the attitude of the other party.
This time the man got out of his side and noticed Shekinah sitting in the cart and me -the unmatching mother. He had a pleasant expression on his face the whole time and Shekinah gazed after him.  I gave her an extra hug when I put her in her car seat and she said  " I like Wang shou-shou"

It was funny, something about that man reminded me of Wang shou-shou too, but most of all...she is hearing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment