Thursday, September 8, 2011

Non-Electric Sump Pump

Today we woke up to MORE rain, and then got the dreaded phone calls... first a 2 hour delay then school closed for today.

OK...what do I do with 5 kids around when I expected to have a free day to dig into the next quilt project?

Well...let's see... the basement stayed dry all week, even though Lee was pouring rain on us all week...the carpets that we lugged out after Irene were clean and dry....I know!!

Let's put the carpets back in their places and clean up the basement....especially since my family was coming over the the abbreviated weekend campout....(we were going to camp in the house and hopefully at least cook outside)

We had just put the carpet back in place and I was talking to hubby on the phone "no, no water...well just a trickle in the one corner...we'll watch it" As I was talking I walked down into the basement to check on the trickle....

We had 1-2" of water covering most of the basement!   I feel petty fussing about the small amount but we don't normally get water in our basement (we discovered the reason later this evening)

Suddenly we had lots of work for all those kids who didn't have school...
 Even the one that was not allowed to get his compression socks soaked with flood water
 I figured we had about an 8 gpm pump going...maybe faster when I was helping J
 Yes Hope, you might need a second shower today
After Irene, I declared I need to clean out the basement...get rid of some stuff...but I needed to have the camp out first and finish a quilt first....well the camp out is cancelled...maybe a yard sale? maybe just a dumpster?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so sorry. Will there be a second chance at the campout? I hope everything in the basement is sound. Praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a real mess isn't it? We have two sump pumps in the basement so it stayed dry except for the crawlspace which I am using a wet vac on...muddy mess for sure.

    ReplyDelete