Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Who Can Explain It, Who Can Tell Me Why?

fools give me reasons, wisemen never try..."
Really not sure that even fits as a title, but tonite at the supper
table we somehow got on the subject of dominant and recessive genes.
I know, I know...should maybe be more sensitive to all my children...but
I forget...
no, my children don't look just like me...none of them really do...so we
usually just discuss...."look your hand is as big as mine" or "see your
leg is the same length from the hip to the knee as it is from the ankle
to the knee"
but I remember the first science classes when we discussed Gregor Mendel
and his famous pea experiment. It was fascinating and it was easy to
see...blue eyes were recessive genes, dark eyes dominant...some people
had curly hair, some had straight, some people had brown hair, others
had blonde, black or red hair.
When we started talking about recessive and dominant genes, Joseph had a
puzzled look on his face and was questioning what on earth we were
talking about.
It really seemed it was a concept that had never been discussed
before....I think we managed without it being to sticky...
yet another topic that should be in the advice books

1 comment:

  1. We were studying something similar a couple of weeks ago and I found some interesting pictures of a white baby born to black parents, and a black baby born to white parents. There was also a biracial family that had two separate sets of twins. One set was black and white (boys) the other black and white (girls). This was pretty fascinating with the possibilities in the millions.

    When our daughter Sarah asked us if we thought she looked like her biological mother. I said, "Of course! I bet she is just as beautiful as you!" And she smiled that wonderful, sweet, smile. :)

    ReplyDelete