Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Explaining myself

Since we are home, Youngest Brother pretty much goes everywhere with me
especially during the day.
At first when we went to my regular stores the clerks would smile and
simply be friendly.
But some of the clerks knew us well enough to know we had been gone and
I guess they couldn't think of anything else to ask...
I honestly don't think anyone was being malicious, just thoughtless.

At first, I knew that he didn't understand the question, but now that he
has enough English, he does understand.
Poor kid dutifully says "good" and everyone grins and is happy.
While I want to scream..."why should he like it here?"
Don't get me wrong...I'm glad he seems to be settling in just fine but
really!!??

Sorry, just needed to vent

4 comments:

  1. Vent away! people seem to say the stupidest things somethings. I'll scream the next time someone asks if my girls are sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar desire to scream when people feel the need to comment on how we are doing. I think we've made it clear that there are lots of adjustments, so when people see us out and we are "doing well," they seem to need to say, "Oh, it looks like he's doing better." Similarly, I've had people (after observing a meltdown) ask, "Is he having difficulty adjusting?" We're just taking it one day at a time and it's hard for me to have to agree or disagree with comments on "how we're doing." People aren't being malicious. They are trying to be kind. They just can't win with me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People just want to say something. It is making us a little nuts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is just the standard, "how are you?" when people don't really want to know how you are. You're right, they aren't being malicious, they just want to say something. What a strange thing you are all going through. It's nice that you get it for him.

    ReplyDelete